[cryptography] ECDSA - patent free?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 13:54:07 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> Anyone have informed opinions on whether ECDSA is patent free?
ECDSA is part of BIST's Digital Signature Standard. A royalty free
license is a requisite.

> Any suggestions on EC capable crypto library that implements things without
> tripping over any certicom claimed optimizations?
Daniel J. Bernstein thinks most ECC related patents are irrelevant.
Otherwise, license from Certicom or RSA Data Securities.

The best I can tell, if the patents are valid, then RSA Data
Securities is infringing. License from RSA Data Securities and let
them slug it out with Certicom.

> (Someone pointed out to me recently that the redhat shipped openSSL is
> devoid of ECC which is kind of a nuisance!)
RedHat is acorporation with money. If you are not a corporation or
don't have money, then don't worry about it. You can't get water form
a rock.

> Suite B pushed use of EC you would think would increase the interest in
> having clarity on the EC patent situation..
Suite B uses ECC and has a minimum security level of 128 bits. You can
still achieve the security level with DH-3072 (and subgroups of 256 or
greater), RSA-3072, SHA-256, etc.

Jeff