[cryptography] Non-governmental exploitation of crypto flaws?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Nov 27 15:10:07 EST 2011

Does anyone know of any (verifiable) examples of non-government enemies
exploiting flaws in cryptography?  I'm looking for real-world attacks on
short key lengths, bad ciphers, faulty protocols, etc., by parties other
than governments and militaries.  I'm not interested in academic attacks
-- I want to be able to give real-world advice -- nor am I looking for
yet another long thread on the evils and frailties of PKI.