[cryptography] Auditable CAs

Chris Richardson chris at randomnonce.org
Mon Nov 28 16:32:50 EST 2011

Right.  Or to think about it a different way:

Facebook uses a CA-signed cert.  Users connecting to Facebook get no
errors/warnings (assuming no one mucks with the connection)
If someone is mucking with my connection, I get a self-signed Facebook
cert and the appropriate warning screen.

In this case, I know that that my connection is being mucked with
because I know (ahead-of-time/out-of-band) that Facebook uses a
CA-signed cert.

If in several years, I get a cert-does-not-have-audit-proof warning
for Facebook, how will I know if that's because
1. Facebook has chosen a CA that does not use the audit system
2. Facebook has chosen a CA that uses the audit system, but Facebook
chooses not to participate in the audit system
3. Someone is mucking with my connection.

The current system is no stronger than the weakest CA.  I think this
proposal is interesting, but I'm not certain it's any stronger than
the systems that do not participate in it

 -- Chris.