[cryptography] Non-governmental exploitation of crypto flaws?

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Mon Nov 28 21:55:08 EST 2011

On 2011-11-28 14:56, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 11:00 49PM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>
>> Steven Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of any (verifiable) examples of non-government enemies
>>> exploiting flaws in cryptography?
[...[
>For GSM, is there
> something I can footnote about these kits?

Steve,
There is a boatload of GSM interception gear on the market and has been
for over 10 years that performs cryptanalytical attacks on GSM's A5/1
and A5/2 ciphers.

Fire up your favorite search engine and look for "passive GSM
interceptor". Indeed, there are subscribers to this mailing list that
sell commercial GSM interception gear that performs cryptanalytical attacks.

--Lucky Green