[cryptography] [OT] -gate (Re: An appropriate image from Diginotar)

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Sep 2 11:29:27 EDT 2011

[Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> (2011-09-02 15:02:42 UTC)]

> The only
> downside is that we really need to require CAs to choose names that work
> better with the -gate suffix.  Something like EntrustGate I can deal with, but
> there's no way I'm trying EBGElektronikSertifikaHizmetSaglayicisiGate in a
> message).

The -gate suffix is getting tiresome, actually. I tend to agree with this:

  http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=5106

  Ever since a certain third-rate burglary in Washington, D.C., many
  years ago, journalists have insisted on sticking the suffix "gate"
  onto every scandal that erupts. Big or little, significant or silly,
  real or faux – doesn't matter. It gets gated.

  This has been an annoying practice for years. It's knee-jerk. It's
  easy. It's boring. [...]

- Harald