[cryptography] [OT] -gate (Re: An appropriate image from Diginotar)

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Fri Sep 2 12:21:46 EDT 2011

On 09/02/2011 10:29 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> The -gate suffix is getting tiresome, actually. I tend to agree with this:
>
>    http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=5106
>
>    Ever since a certain third-rate burglary in Washington, D.C., many
>    years ago, journalists have insisted on sticking the suffix "gate"
>    onto every scandal that erupts. Big or little, significant or silly,
>    real or faux – doesn't matter. It gets gated.
>
>    This has been an annoying practice for years. It's knee-jerk. It's
>    easy. It's boring. [...]

I think it's kind of cute, but yeah, overused.

You probably have to be an American over a certain age to understand the
-gate thing, but it's not really about the burglarly. I was a little
kid, but I remember Watergate on TV. It really was quite traumatic. My
perception is that, coming at the end of the Vietnam war, it was the
final nail in the coffin for the larger-than-life confidence Americans
had in their officials and political institutions post-1930s. It's one
of the very few times a President resigned from office without his term
"expiring".

Come to think of it, the -gate syntax is probably a lot more appropriate
for the CA break-in than most of the other times it's used.

- Marsh