[cryptography] kernel.org hack and kernel integrity

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Sep 3 04:04:18 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-03 12:19 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Am I the only guy who finds the kernel integrity assurances suspect [1]:
>
>      However, it's also useful to note that the potential damage of cracking
>      kernel.org is far less than typical software repositories. That's because
>      kernel development takes place using the git distributed revision control
>      system, designed by Linus Torvalds. For each of the nearly 40,000 files
>      in the Linux kernel, a cryptographically secure SHA-1 hash is calculated
>      to uniquely define the exact contents of that file.
>
> I did see the claims that git had security related design goals
> (wikipedia). Unfortunately, the wikipedia reference points to a
> Torvalds talk at Google where he claims "security is distributed. and
> I trust 5, 10, 0r 15 developers [sic]" [2] (among his other ramblings
> and bashings). So its not clear to me how Torvalds trust a few people,
> therefore integrity is assured.

Torvald trusts some people, each of which trusts some more people - but
he also trusts them to check the code.

Suppose that there is a bad apple.  The bad apple can socially engineer
his code into the source tree by leveraging his relationships, but in so
doing, if he gets caught, will burn those relationships.