[cryptography] [OT]: SQL injection blamed for widespread DNS hack

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:32:27 EDT 2011

While PKI has many shortcomings, DigiNotar has shown the industry can
effectively kill off a deficient CA. Are there any measures in place
to keep a deficient registrar out of DNS? Or will NetNames still be
serving up records with a promise to do better? [Naively, I thought
the DNS hacks were related to the CA compromises].

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/369700/sql-injection-blamed-for-widespread-dns-hack:

The DNS company [NetNames] at the centre of a massive hacking attack
has blamed the security breach on an SQL injection. According to
NetNames, one of the domain management firms targeted, the attackers
managed the breach via an SQL injection attack....

...[The redirection] was done by placing unauthorised re-delegation
orders through to the registries via our provisioning system. These
orders updated the address of the master DNS servers responsible for
serving data for these domain.