[cryptography] After the dust settles -- what happens next? (v. Long)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Sep 11 23:51:48 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-12 9:50 AM, Ian G wrote:
 > Google has one more notable advantage: it is the only
 > player with all interests aligned.
 >
 > ... google is already the third person, because it also
 > serves the ad. It knows the merchant. So the next thing
 > that is going to happen is google will serve up the ad
 > reliably. Which means, one click, and we go
 > HTTPS-everytime.

The user, clicking on the ad, attempts to get a direct
connection to the true advertiser over a network that google
does not control.

 > The rest will be implementation details.

The only obvious way I see for this to work is for google's
browser, chrome, to implement yurls, a yurl being a link
where the link contains a hash of the public key of entity
linked to.

bittorrent magnet links, and torr hidden service links, are
yurls.  It is not that hard.

Google chrome has what firefox and internet explorer do not
have - an incentive to implement yurls.