[cryptography] The consequences of DigiNotar's failure

M.R. makrober at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:07:17 EDT 2011

On 16/09/11 09:16, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> The problem is that people will probably die
> due Digitar's failure.

I am not the one to defend DigiNotar, but I would not make such
dramatic assumption.

No one actively working against a government that is known to engage
in extra-legal killings will trust SSL secured e-mail to protect him
or her from the government surveillance. If this particular case, if
the most often repeated hypothesis of who did it and why is correct,
it was probably done for some bottom net-fishing and will likely result
with a whole bunch of "little people" with secret files that will make
them "second-class" citizens for a long, long time, ineligible for
government jobs and similar. (For instance, I'd expect them to end up
on some oriental no-fly list).

Mark R.