[cryptography] The consequences of DigiNotar's failure

M.R. makrober at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:20:31 EDT 2011

On 16/09/11 17:28, Ian G wrote:
> On 17/09/11 3:07 AM, M.R. wrote:
> IMNSHO, 1% of technically savvy users will have any view that there is a
> flaw with SSL secured e-mail. Then, technically savvy users are about 1%
> of the general population. I'd expect around 0.01% of the population to
> have this clue.

We can only offer our personal observations.

In my experience, only a very small percentage of users in
"general population" (of e-mail users) will assume their
e-mail is *at all* "protected from the government". I will
allow that there might be some (among those, but certainly
not in the "general population") who do indeed have highly
unrealistic expectations about the level of that protection.
I can not however imagine someone who is part of an organized
group actively working against a government (any government!)
to depend on gmail security. It's the "naive malcontents"
that end up in fishing nets of oppressive regimes. Yes,
they suffer in various ways, but they are hardly worth killing.

Big fish is hunted differently.

Mark R,