[cryptography] Another data point on SSL "trusted" root CA reliability (S Korea)

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Sat Sep 17 21:37:56 EDT 2011

Been seeing Twitter from @ralphholz, @KevinSMcArthur, and @eddy_nigg
about some goofy certs surfacing in S Korea with CA=true.

via Reddit http://www.reddit.com/tb/kj25j
http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/496473.html

It's not entirely clear that a trusted CA cert is being used in this
attack, however the article comes to the conclusion that HTTPS
application data is being decrypted so it's the most plausible assumption.

Quoting extensively here because I don't have a sense of how long "The
Hankyoreh" keeps their English language text around.

- Marsh