[cryptography] The consequences of DigiNotar's failure

Chris Palmer snackypants at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 00:34:41 EDT 2011

Just to clarify things, let's put a face on the phenomenon:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle-east/syrian-activist-ghiyath-matars-death-spurs-grief-debate/2011/09/14/gIQArgq8SK_story.html

Before you say "It's the dissident's fault", "everyone obviously does, or should, understand that SSL is broken", "dissidents do, or should, have something better than SSL available to them", and so on — Think about Ghiyath Matar. Just a random tailor. He was Syrian, not Iranian; we don't know him to have been tortured to death as a result of the failures of SSL. But we do know that people like him in Iran are being or have been MITM'd.