[cryptography] Math corrections [was: Let's go back to the beginning on this]

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Sep 18 04:55:40 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-18 3:37 PM, Marsh Ray wrote:
> Now you may be a law-and-order type fellow who believes that "lawful
> intercept" is a magnificent tool in the glorious war on whatever. But if
> so, you have to realize that on the global internet, your own systems
> are just as vulnerable to a "lawfully executed" court order gleefully
> issued by your adversary (as if they'd even bother with the paperwork).

Doubtless verisign will issue whatever certificates the CIA needs to
intercept Al Quaeda communications, if they were silly enough to use
https to secure their communications.  Unfortunately, chances are that
PakExperts will issue whatever certificates Al Quaeda needs to intercept
CIA communications, if they were silly enough to use https to secure
their communications.

Even within a single country, things can get tense.  I am pretty sure
that the Pentagon and the State Department would have no difficulty, and
no hesitation, in getting certificates to spy on each other.