[cryptography] SSL is not "broken by design"

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Sep 19 23:09:10 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-20 12:20 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> That is not the issue. The issue is that if an app can be full screen it can
> fake whatever a login window looks like.

Which is why I said that the logon screen should rearrange other windows
on the desktop so as to always be overlapping.

When you launch your true login app, nothing that an adversary might be
able to control should be allowed to be full screen.  If your browser is
up, showing a web page, it will be moved and resized so that the login
screen partially overlaps it.

That is why I earlier said:
	It has a colorful and irregular non rectangular window that
	differs from one user to the next, and it always positions
	itself and other windows so that it overlaps both the web
	page, and the desktop or whatever non web apps happen to
	be there.

Thus if the user sees the login page seemingly wholly on top of a web
page, this will look funny.