[cryptography] Bitcoin, was Nirvana

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Sep 26 02:15:49 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Chris Palmer <snackypants at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2011, at 9:10 PM, James A. Donald wrote:
>> Having a government apparatus to fix liquidity crises is not a solution.  I recommend instead bankruptcy, and indentured servitude to for those bankrupts whose lenders were misled.
>
> Thank you for your honesty. It's important for people to understand that advocates of the gold standard seek the return of slavery.

I've not heard any other gold standard proponents suggest that we
should bring back slavery, and we know that gold standards have
existed w/o slavery.  Bankruptcy should not require jail or indentured
servitude time in order to make a gold standard work, nor could any
kind of forced labor compensate for adequately for any serious losses.
 Do not confuse that statement with support for a gold standard
though.

> Now, can we please get back to constructive discussions of cryptography?

Yes please.  We've seen the bitcoin movie.

How about that attack on TLS 1.0 CBC IV chaining?  Pretty fun.

Nico