[cryptography] Bitcoin, was Nirvana

ianG iang at iang.org
Mon Sep 26 10:32:30 EDT 2011

On 26/09/11 16:15 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Chris Palmer<snackypants at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2011, at 9:10 PM, James A. Donald wrote:
>>> Having a government apparatus to fix liquidity crises is not a solution.  I recommend instead bankruptcy, and indentured servitude to for those bankrupts whose lenders were misled.
>> Thank you for your honesty. It's important for people to understand that advocates of the gold standard seek the return of slavery.
> I've not heard any other gold standard proponents suggest that we
> should bring back slavery, and we know that gold standards have
> existed w/o slavery.

He means, punishment by loss of freedom, in one means or another.  E.g.,
bankers of all stripes should go to jail if they bungle.  I'm not sure
if it is the case, still, but it was the case in living memory that in
Switzerland, letting a bank go bankrupt was a jailable offence for *all
bank officers*.

> How about that attack on TLS 1.0 CBC IV chaining? Pretty fun.

I'm guessing this attack is mitigated by use of client cert logins?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/23/google_ssl_not_vulnerable_to_beast/

Talking about the use of crypto can provide useful insights into crypto
problems ;)