[cryptography] ElGamal Encryption and Signature: Key Generation Requirements?

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Dec 18 20:29:15 EST 2012

Well one reason people like Lim-Lee primes is its much faster to generate
them.  That is because of prime density being lower for strong primes, at
the sizes of p & q for p=2q+1 and you need to screen both p & q for primeness.

With Lim-Lee as you maybe saw in the paper you just generate a few extra
small p_i values n of them where only k needed, then try permutations C(n,k)
untl you find one for which p = 2q*p_1*...p_k is prime.  As the p_i are
small they are fast and cheap to generate.

Adam