[cryptography] Tigerspike claims world first with Karacell for mobile security

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 08:19:03 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone had the privilege of looking at the "stronger than military
>> grade" [encryption] scheme?
>
> http://innovblogdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/the-karacell-encryption-system-tech-paper1.pdf
Thanks Ben. Based on the opening paragraph, I think I'm going to read
some of it.

The Karacell symmetric encryption system was specifically designed to
counter the anticipated threat of quantum computing, whilst at the
same time address other issues with existing cryptosystems such as
slow computational performance, nonoptimal power consumption,
nonuniform cryptographic strength over various bits of a file, and
ciphertext that depends upon the plaintext for pseudo-randomness. It
is based upon a non-polynomial-time computation problem (also known as
an NP problem whose optimal algorithm has not been improved since
1972). This final point is critical, as new cryptosystems are always
treated with great scepticism; however, by demonstrating a linkage to
a known mathematical problem, “new” cryptosystems are sometimes more
accurately considered as derivatives of previously well-studied math
problems.

Jeff