[cryptography] how many MITM-enabling sub-roots chain up to public-facing CAs ?

Ralph Holz holz at net.in.tum.de
Tue Feb 14 05:40:06 EST 2012

Ian,

Actually, we thought about asking Mozilla directly and in public: how
many such CAs are known to them? I'd have thought that some would have
disclosed themselves to Mozilla after the communication of the past few
weeks. Your mail makes it seem as if that was not the case, or not to a
satisfying degree. Which makes me support Marsh Ray's one-strike
proposal even more strongly: issuing a death sentence to a CA who has
disclosed is counter-productive. It will drive the others deeper into
hiding.

You kno, I can't help but think of the resemblance to the real world
death penalty for humans - AFAICT it does not seem to deter criminals.

Ralph