[cryptography] how many MITM-enabling sub-roots chain up to public-facing CAs ?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Feb 14 16:50:40 EST 2012

On 2012-02-14 8:40 PM, Ralph Holz wrote:
> issuing a death sentence to a CA who has
> disclosed is counter-productive. It will drive the others deeper into
> hiding.
>
> You kno, I can't help but think of the resemblance to the real world
> death penalty for humans - AFAICT it does not seem to deter criminals.

Singapore has approximately  one hundredth to one thousandth the crime
rate of western democracies - near zero rapes, and dramatically fewer
murders. Not only is their lower class law abiding, their bankers and
bureaucrats, unlike ours are also law abiding.

 From which it is evident that the death penalty *does* deter, both for
institutions and individuals.

In the lead up to the great financial crisis, the Singaporean government
told financial institutions that they should refrain from excessive
maturity transformation, that institutions that were broke would not be
bailed out, (the death penalty for institutions) and that people who
misrepresented their institutions exposure would be punished.
(Imprisonment and possibly flogging for people mismanaging financial
institutions, or corruptly regulating them)

Guess how Singapore did when the crisis broke.