[cryptography] how many MITM-enabling sub-roots chain up to public-facing CAs ?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Feb 14 20:25:08 EST 2012

On 2012-02-15 7:57 AM, Ralph Holz wrote:
>>> You kno, I can't help but think of the resemblance to the real world
>>> death penalty for humans - AFAICT it does not seem to deter criminals.

James A. Donald:
>> Singapore has approximately  one hundredth to one thousandth the crime
>> rate of western democracies - near zero rapes, and dramatically fewer
>> murders. Not only is their lower class law abiding, their bankers and
>> bureaucrats, unlike ours are also law abiding.
>>
>>  From which it is evident that the death penalty *does* deter, both for
>> institutions and individuals.

Ralph Holz
> May I, just for reasons of comparison, have the same numbers for the US,
> especially the states with a death penalty, and the UK and/or DE?

Although several US states theoretically have the death penalty pro
forma, no US states have the death penalty in actual practice, nor have
they had the death penalty to any extent likely to deter anyone
throughout most of the twentieth century.  Even prisoners that get sick
of jail and demand execution are apt to be old men before they get it.

For a valid comparison, need to compare the US today with the US in
1910, or the US today with Singapore today, or Saudi Arabia today, or
China today.