Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Wed Feb 15 00:46:32 EST 2012

On 02/14/2012 09:02 PM, Jon Callas wrote:

> If you implement something like the
> Certificate Transparency, you have an authenticated database of
> authoritative data to replicate the oracle with.

How important is it that the data be authenticated/authoritative in this
case?

> Waving my hand and making software magically appear, I'd combine
> Certificate Transparency and such an oracle be combined, and compute
> the status of the key as part of the certificate logs and proofs.

CAs are sort of taking a beating in the public view these days. Such a
service could be the kind of thing they either use as a QoS
differentiator, or something they collaborate on as an industry to help
build some public trust.

I bet there are some graduate students looking for nice, limited-scope
summer internship projects...but it may be bigger scope than that.

- Marsh