Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Feb 17 15:41:14 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Thierry Moreau
<thierry.moreau at connotech.com> wrote:
> If your /dev/urandom never blocks the requesting task irrespective of the
> random bytes usage, then maybe your /dev/random is not as secure as it might
> be (unless you have an high speed entropy source, but what is "high speed"
> in this context?)

I'd like for /dev/urandom to block, but only early in boot.  Once
enough entropy has been gathered for it to start it should never
block.  One way to achieve this is to block boot progress early enough
in booting by reading from /dev/random, thus there'd be no need for
/dev/urandom to ever block.

Nico