Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Sat Feb 18 18:08:37 EST 2012

On 02/18/2012 03:43 PM, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:

> My concern about virtual machines is that the hypervisor layer may
> reduce the entropy in these inter-arrival times by quantifying them
> into discrete time intervals.

Yes, hypervisors even introduce quantization error into the
high-resolution timer in order to resist cross-VM cache timing attacks
(cue the trombones of irony).

Even still, the attacker may be able to measure or influence some of
that quantization effect by scheduling his own load on the shared
resource (CPU, disk, network, etc.).

- Marsh