[cryptography] Homomorphic split-key encryption OR snake oil crypto

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 19 11:41:05 EST 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 17:08:25 +0100
Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Saqib Ali:
>
> > Can somebody explain me how this so-called Homomorphic split-key
> > encryption works?
>
> Isn't this just a protocal which performs a cryptographic primitive
> using split key material, without actually recombining the keys?
> (Traditional Shamir secret sharing needs a trust party for key
> recombination.)
>
> If yes, you might want to look for "RSA Threshold Cryptography" and
> similar work.

What is the point of introducing homomorphic encryption here?  When
last I checked, we were still pretty far from practical FHE systems,
and we have not really determined the appropriate security parameters
for the systems we are aware of now.  It is telling that the company in
the link provides few details about their system, except so say that
homomorphic encryption is something they plan to deploy in the future.

Maybe they are talking about oblivious AES from garbled circuits,
although I am not really sure what the advantage of such a thing might
be.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin R Kreuter
UVA Computer Science
brk7bx at virginia.edu
KK4FJZ

--

"If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there
will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public