[cryptography] Homomorphic split-key encryption OR snake oil crypto

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Feb 19 19:26:55 EST 2012

On 2012-02-20 7:55 AM, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I am still not sure why you need homomorphism in this case. What is
> the benefit of using homomorphism to porticor's customer, for example?

With RSA split keys, you need a trusted party to combine them - but if
the trusted party is untrustworthy, you are hosed.  Presumably, with
homomorphic encryption, the trusted party would perform the operations,
but not have access to the combined key.

But I don't think this helps.

It is a way of getting around the trusted party problem, but I don't
think it does get around the trusted party problem.