[cryptography] "Combined" cipher modes

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Feb 20 02:53:59 EST 2012

["Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com> (2012-02-20 07:11:52 UTC)]

> So my second question is, if all the "combined" cipher modes all
> cause a cipher to act as if it is in a streaming mode, is it okay
> to just choose a completely RANDOM IV for each encryption?

I'll bite on this one, leaving the harder part of your question to the
real experts. Yes, that should be okay, PROVIDED you have access to a
good source of entropy (aka randomness). See the long, long thread on
duplicate primes in RSA moduli to get a notion of how horribly wrong
things can go if you don't.

- Harald