Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Mon Feb 20 07:42:50 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 05:57:37PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> In any case, I think the design of urandom in Linux is flawed and
> should be fixed.

Do you have specific suggestions?

Short of making it block, I can think of the following:

1. More distros may follow the suggestion in the "Ensuring
unpredictability at system startup" comment in drivers/char/random.c
(save previously accumulated entropy in a file on shutdown, restore it
from the file on bootup).

2. The kernel may mix in hardware serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc.
into the initial entropy pool.  Drawback: if this turns out to be
insufficient entropy anyway (such as if some of it is correctly guessed
by an attacker), these numbers may then be inferred back from the
"random" numbers.  BTW, this same risk currently applies to system time
at bootup and even to further stuff added to the pool (even keystroke
timings and keystrokes themselves), but perhaps we're assuming that
either there's sufficient entropy that those won't be inferred or if the
system time is the only entropy, then having it inferred is not the
biggest of our worries.

These tradeoffs are not really specific to Linux.  Sure, you can make
urandom block, but that's also a tradeoff.

Alexander