[cryptography] Bitcoin in endgame

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 23 04:00:20 EST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, James A. Donald wrote:
[[for attacking bitcoin]]
> botnets cannot compete with legit miners, because to get a reasonable return,
> you need to mine with a graphics card, and while mining with graphics card,
> your graphics goes to hell, which will cause the most slow witted owner of a
> zombie computer to do something.

It's pretty easy for the botnet to monitor for human activity (e.g.,
mouse movement, non-screensaver processes running) and suspend their
activity then.  Since the computer is likely idle most of the time
(I'm assuming bonets mainly use home computers, which will be idle
when their owners are sleeping, and usually when owners are out
at school/work/shopping/etc in the daytime), the botnet throughput
is only modestly degraded.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA