[cryptography] Bitcoin in endgame

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Feb 23 04:24:29 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 01:00:20AM -0800, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, James A. Donald wrote:
> [[for attacking bitcoin]]
> > botnets cannot compete with legit miners, because to get a reasonable return,
> > you need to mine with a graphics card, and while mining with graphics card,
> > your graphics goes to hell, which will cause the most slow witted owner of a
> > zombie computer to do something.
>
> It's pretty easy for the botnet to monitor for human activity (e.g.,
> mouse movement, non-screensaver processes running) and suspend their
> activity then.  Since the computer is likely idle most of the time
> (I'm assuming bonets mainly use home computers, which will be idle
> when their owners are sleeping, and usually when owners are out
> at school/work/shopping/etc in the daytime), the botnet throughput
> is only modestly degraded.

What is the actual problem with botnet blocks (which, so far
I'm aware of, is a purely theoretical situation at this point)?
Pecuniam non olet, after all.

In general so far I fail to see the validity of most criticisms
against BitCoin. So far I see the only real problem is government
crackdown on exchanges, which only makes BTC free-floating
and slows down the growth of the underlying economy.

Sorry if this is off-topic to cryptography. We can take the
thread offlist at any time.