[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Fri Feb 24 22:25:40 EST 2012

 > Surely the core of the ruling is that no one except the
 > defendant knows for sure whether the key exists, knows
 > whether there is an inner truecrypt volume or not.  The cross
 > examination of the forensics witness focused on that point.

One must assume that this nicety does not apply to
border crossings (Customs inspection) where access
to anything and everything is stare decisis.

And, of course, any Court could order the duplication
of the visible part of the volume(s) in question,
thus to provide the defendant with those.  If there
is no inner redoubt, then the defendant has been
deprived of nothing.  One could even make the copy
to a cloud rather than a physical device should an
identical make and model of drive not be lying about.
If I ran the zoo, I'd be automating that right now.

--dan