[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Feb 25 00:25:17 EST 2012

On 2012-02-25 1:25 PM, dan at geer.org wrote:
> One must assume that this nicety does not apply to
> border crossings (Customs inspection) where access
> to anything and everything is stare decisis.

If they knew the inner drive existed, they could insist on access to it.
  But they can only suspect.

They can have access to the drive.  They can have access to the
encrypted drive on the unencrypted drive.  They may *speculate* that
there is an inner encrypted drive, but the only way they can find out
that it exists is to ask me to incriminate myself.

That the customs can have access to everything physical that crosses the
border is stare decisis - but it is a big jump that they have access to
your state of mind.