[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Feb 26 13:29:32 EST 2012

[Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> (2012-02-26 17:35:55 UTC)]

> On Feb 25, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
> > But I'd be SOL when then went looking for a second
> > hidden volume simply because one doesn't exist. Guess if I ever go out of
> > the country with my laptop, I'd just better securely wipe that partion.
>
> Or just put something in it that you can show.

I know nothing about TrueCrypt, but I imagine a technical solution to
this kind of problem exists: Just give TrueCrypt the ability to have a
virtually unlimited number of hidden volumes. Now you can reveal them,
one after the other, in increasing order of embarrasment value and
perhaps a modest level of illegality, after which you say, that's it,
there are no more secrets here.

- Harald