[cryptography] Explaining crypto to engineers

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun Feb 26 19:16:50 EST 2012

On 26/02/12 14:47 PM, Kevin W. Wall wrote:

> But if I could put to something that was about 5-8 pages about something
> like "Ten Things Every Developer Should Know About Cryptography", that
> would be great for starters. Does such a thing exist? Maybe it can't
> distilled to only 10, but you get my point.

At a higher level, I wrote Hypotheses in Secure Protocol Design:

http://iang.org/ssl/hn_hypotheses_in_secure_protocol_design.html

It's meant for the DIY engineer, to distil current understandings, not
to be their only source, but to be a sort of "avoid these traps" list
after they have done some study.

Not everyone agrees...

iang

PS: if I wrote it again I'd drop the 7.  I'm 3 times over the current
journalistic trend of "5 things you must know in order to achieve
happiness in all things."