[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Feb 26 20:45:12 EST 2012

On 2012-02-27 4:29 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> I know nothing about TrueCrypt, but I imagine a technical solution to
> this kind of problem exists: Just give TrueCrypt the ability to have a
> virtually unlimited number of hidden volumes. Now you can reveal them,
> one after the other, in increasing order of embarrasment value and
> perhaps a modest level of illegality, after which you say, that's it,
> there are no more secrets here.

In the case on which the ruling was issued, John Doe had five terabytes
of TrueCrypt drive, and absolutely nothing on the outermost TrueCrypt drive.

I am pretty sure that if he had something moderately embarrassing or a
little bit illegal on the outer drive with the easily broken password,
he would not have had to appeal all the way up.