[cryptography] Explaining crypto to engineers

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Feb 26 22:25:52 EST 2012

Ondrej Mikle <ondrej.mikle at nic.cz> writes:

>I've just found an article about the OAEP padding oracle (that I couldn't
>recall before):

There's another one that was published about a year ago that looks at things
like side-channel attacks via the integer-to-octet-string conversion
primitives and other really low-bandwidth channels, I think it was "Manger's
Attack Revisited".  At the time I was thinking of doing a writeup on generalised
defences (via randomisation) against this sort of thing because as Revisited
points out, you're always going to get timing channels somewhere if you look
hard enough and a generalised defence would be better than the penetrate-and-
patch approah to stopping timing channels.

Peter.