[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Sun Feb 26 22:26:09 EST 2012

On 02/26/2012 09:08 PM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Marsh Ray<marsh at extendedsubset.com>  writes:
>
>> Except that as it is stipulated that the captors are "not stupid", we must
>> assume they are perfectly rational actors who will have worked out this
>> strategy too.
>
> It's not an exercise in game theory, it's standard police work.

My post had about as much to do with standard police work as the
traveling salesman problem has to do with actual salesmen, or the
prisoner's dilemma has to do with actual prisoners.

I thought the situation might be amenable to a simple model, and it
seemed like an interesting way to try to nudge the conversation back to
discussing crypto, or comp sci at least.

> If they've watched you downloading child porn for six months,

I know that this is a terribly common scenario that todays computer
crime investigators have to deal with on a daily basis, but isn't there
some variant of Godwin's law I can invoke here?

- Marsh