[cryptography] Moderation (Was: US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive)

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Feb 27 07:45:28 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 09:01:31AM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> ["Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com> (2012-02-27 01:50:40 UTC)]
>
> > Well, we're already considerably OT, but since the moderator seems to
> > be letting this thread play itself out, [...]
>
> Moderator? The list has a moderator?

No. As it says on the tin at

"The list is entirely unmoderated..."

My assumption is that anyone who is interested and capable of
moderating a crypto mailing list will inevitably find that they have
more interesting things to do than moderating a crypto mailing list
(the failure mode of cryptography at metzdowd.com).

> But seriously, we can all be moderators in the sense of asking
> nicely to take certain discussions elsewhere.

That's the intent, and your efforts are appreciated.

There was a long discussion about this approach and the possible
failure modes early on. Obviously this strategy working well assumes a
lot things about the nature of the list participants which may or may
not be true.

-Jack