[cryptography] CAPTCHA as a Security System?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jan 3 01:51:26 EST 2012

Randall Webmail <rvh40 at insightbb.com> writes:

>My neighborhood Wal*Mart has pretty much eliminated cashiers in favor of
>self-checkouts.
>
>Anyone so inclined could walk in, load up a cart, walk up to a self-checkout,
>check maybe half the items in the cart, pay for them and leave, with no one
>the wiser until the physical inventory didn't match up with the computer
>inventory.

Don't they have minders that watch the self-checkouts?  The way they're set up
here your chances of sneaking an item out is probably about as good as it
would be with a human-controlled checkout, and for anything more than one or
two small items there's not much chance.

(The self-checkouts are arranged in such a way that one or two people can
supervise all of them, if they simply replaced the human in each row with a
barcode scanner then it wouldn't be so easy).

Peter.