[cryptography] CAPTCHA as a Security System?

Randall Webmail rvh40 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 3 01:57:10 EST 2012

From: Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
To: cryptography at randombit.net, rvh40 at insightbb.com
Sent: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:51:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [cryptography] CAPTCHA as a Security System?

Randall Webmail <rvh40 at insightbb.com> writes:

>>My neighborhood Wal*Mart has pretty much eliminated cashiers in favor of
>>self-checkouts.

>Don't they have minders that watch the self-checkouts?  The way they're set up
here your chances of sneaking an item out is probably about as good as it
would be with a human-controlled checkout, and for anything more than one or
two small items there's not much chance.

There is one girl (and it is always a girl) who is at the control center.   She comes to the checkout station to override the system when the shopper scans beer.  No one watches to see if you scan every item in your cart.    Most people don't steal, and it's cheaper for Wal*Mart to allow the thieves to ply their trade than it is to put $8.00/hour girls in place to (mostly) stop those who do.