[cryptography] Sykipot variant hijacks DoD and Windows smart cards

ianG iang at iang.org
Tue Jan 17 02:50:19 EST 2012

On 17/01/12 17:30 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 1:16 46AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>
>> Arshad Noor<arshad.noor at strongauth.com>  writes:
>>
>>> A good analysis of the attack:
>>>
>>> http://labs.alienvault.com/labs/index.php/2012/when-the-apt-owns-your-smart-cards-and-certs
>> Interesting that we're finally starting to see these appear in practice,
>> there's been a whole string of papers on MITM'ing smart cards (mostly in
>> German, and related to online banking), but this is the first one I've seen
>> that goes beyond proof-of-concept.
>>
> Yah.  I mentioned the possibility in a talk at least 15 years ago, but
> I haven't seen one in the wild, either.

Yes.  I get the feeling that this is a fundamental shift in attack /
threat environment.  It is as if before was all theoretical, and now it
becomes real.  2011 seems to be a watershed?  So, systems that were in
the past seen as secure because they never faced a threat are now likely
going face the music.

It's a bit like economics and finance.  Predictions before the fact were
washed out in the general noise of buy, buy, buy...  And predictions
after the fact aren't so satisfying :)