[cryptography] Well, that's depressing. Now what?

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Sat Jan 28 18:49:28 EST 2012

On 01/28/2012 11:22 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> Let's turn it around: what QKD products do
> you think are not snake oil today?  Please be specific (list products
> currently on sale) and back up the assertion with a rationale,
> remembering that this is in comparison to classical cryptography
> technology.  Feel free to also point to literature about QKD
> technologies perhaps not yet on the market but which might change
> everything, and again, back up your assertions.

I have to admit that this QKD sounds like a really crazy complicated
cool solution in search of a problem.

So aside from the question of whether or not it is snake oil... what
problem is it trying to solve again?

Proving the absence of Eve and Mallory at low ("key distribution") data
rates across links that allow the direct exchange of photons (150 km fiber)?

Does it tolerate optical amplifiers in the path?

- Marsh