[cryptography] non-decryptable encryption

jd.cypherpunks jd.cypherpunks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:20:13 EDT 2012

Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com> wrote:
> One: On the second paper, you assume a prime number as long as the message is secure, and give an example of a message of 500 characters. Assuming ASCII coding and compression, that will be just a few hundred bits. RSA (using primes too) of 1024 bits is now being considered insecure by more and more people. I'm afraid that simple bruteforce could break your scheme quite fast. Also, why not use simple XOR in that case?

Yep - bruteforce will work here.
btw - when it comes to 'non-decryptable encryption' I still like OTP. :)
Read or re-read Steven Bellovins wonderfull piece about Frank Miller, the Inventor of the One-Time Pad https://mice.cs.columbia.edu/getTechreport.php?techreportID=1460

I'm not a rude guy and try not to diminish your archievments but there's some truth in the following sentence: Even if clever beyond description the odds that someone without too much experience in the field can revolutionize cryptography are small. Can't remember who said this - or something similar to this - but it's true anyhow. Think about this every time when I try to 'invent' something within my fields. :)

--Michael