[cryptography] Intel RNG

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jun 20 23:04:45 EDT 2012

On 2012-06-20 5:22 AM, Matthew Green wrote:
> If you assume that every manufactured device will meet the standards of Intel's test units, then you can live with the CRI/Intel review.
>
> If you're /not/ confident in that assumption, the ability to access raw ES output would be useful...

I see no valid case for on chip whitening.  Whitening looks like a
classic job for software.  Why waste chip real estate on something that
will only be used 0.0001% of the time?  Whitening is never going to have
an impact on performance, while it has an impact on our ability to know
where our supposedly random numbers are coming from.