[cryptography] Hardware Randomizer (SE Android)

Rob Kendrick rjek at rjek.com
Mon Mar 5 07:29:26 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:44:03PM -0800, coderman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > .
> > the hardware random source is just a component in application layer
> > entropy availability, but it would be similar to what you'd in the
> > twin high bitrate hardware noise sources in the entropy key or the VIA
> > padlock instructions, and other on die and bus noise sources.
>
> looks like entropy key is 32 kbit/s, [0]
> via padlock xstore 1-2Mbps to 100+Mbps (per bios&mode) [1]

Although the Entropy Key does a huge amount of processing
(comparitively) before delivering that 32kbit/s: it's already mixed the
values from two sources, done entropy estimation, done FIPS statistical
tests, and pooled the data.

I have no idea about the quality of VIA's numbers or what security they
provide in hardware against attack or verification of quality of
numbers.  For all I know, they could just be exposing a noisy circuit
directly via a register.

B.