[cryptography] [info] The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Mar 19 11:02:49 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> wrote:
> But really, I wouldn't do the crypto at all. I would just go for traffic analysis. And huge supercomputers would help with that. Good traffic analysis makes crypto irrelevant.

Agreed, traffic analysis is likely the main purpose.  Even if they
have reduced the work factor for breaking various algorithms to
something manageable, it would probably still pay to first use traffic
analysis to find ciphertext worth attacking.

I suspect that traffic analysis is often enough in court ("mobile
phone records show you spoke to the victim minutes before they were
last seen"), definitely enough in counter-terrorism/insurgency
operations, and all over the world more than enough when paired with
rubber hoses.

Nico