[cryptography] RSA Moduli (NetLock Minositett Kozjegyzoi Certificate)

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:02:14 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Florian Weingarten
<weingarten at itsec.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 11:29 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Is there any benefit to using an exponent that factors? I always
>> thought low hamming weights and primality were the desired attributes
>> for public exponents. And I'm not sure about primality.
>
> Not that I know of. At least Textbook RSA doesn't require primality,
> just coprimality to (p-1)(q-1).
Thanks Florian. I was aware of coprimality.

I guess that begs the next question: why are theses certificates*
limiting the exponent to 2 octets (ie, uint16)? Why not 4, 8 or
arbitrary?

Jeff

* I ran into another certificate yesterday on android-security-discuss. Weird.