[cryptography] John Nash letter to the NSA

Randall Webmail rvh40 at insightbb.com
Sat Mar 24 17:30:11 EDT 2012

http://agtb.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/john-nashs-letter-to-the-nsa/

John Nash’s Letter to the NSA

February 17, 2012 by Noam Nisan

The National Security Agency (NSA) has recently declassified an amazing
letter that John Nash sent to it in 1955. It seems that around the year 1950
Nash tried to interest some US security organs (the NSA itself was only
formally formed only in 1952) in an encryption machine of his design, but
they did not seem to be interested. It is not clear whether some of his
material was lost, whether they ignored him as a theoretical professor, or —
who knows — used some of his stuff but did not tell him. In this
hand-written letter sent by John Nash to the NSA in 1955, he tries to give a
higher-level point of view supporting his design:

In this letter I make some remarks on a general principle relevant to
enciphering in general and to my machine in particular.

He tries to make sure that he will be taken seriously:

I hope my handwriting, etc. do not give the impression I am just a crank
or circle-squarer. My position here is Assist. Prof. of Math. My best known
work is in game theory (reprint sent separately).

He then goes on to put forward an amazingly prescient analysis anticipating
computational complexity theory as well as modern cryptography. In the
letter, Nash takes a step beyond Shannon’s information-theoretic
formalization of cryptography (without mentioning it) and proposes that
security of encryption be based on computational hardness — this is exactly
the transformation to modern cryptography made two decades later by the rest
of the world (at least publicly…). [SNIP]