[cryptography] RSA Moduli (NetLock Minositett Kozjegyzoi Certificate)

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Mar 25 07:16:40 EDT 2012

* Thierry Moreau:

> The unusual public RSA exponent may well be an indication that the
> signature key pair was generated by a software implementation not
> encompassing the commonly-agreed (among number-theoreticians having
> surveyed the field) desirable strategies.

I don't think this conclusion is warranted.  Most textbooks covering
RSA do not address key generation in much detail.  Even the Menezes et
al. (1996) is a bit sketchy, but it mentions e=3 and e=2**16+1 as
"used in practice".  Knuth (1981) fixes e=3.  On the other side, two
popular cryptography textbooks, Schneier (1996) and Stinson (2002),
recommend to choose e randomly.  None of these sources gives precise
guidance on how to generate the key material, although Menezes et al.
gives several examples of what you should not do.